Friday, June 15, 2012

Bringing this clothes week to a close: Summer of 7

So, I'm having a blast with this only 7 items of clothing thing.  I think I may extend my week, gotta talk to the hubs though because we're doing it together.  If I do extend I will begin washing my clothes but my goal will be to only wash my clothes once a week.
Today I washed a half a load of kids clothes by hand.  Why, you ask? Several reasons actually:
1. I find that we just keep going through clothes like they're an endless resource.  Granted with two kiddos under 4, a couple of changes of clothes a day can be necessary but I digress.  It's been driving me crazy and I felt that a reality check was in order.
2. Our clothes get cleaner when I wash them by hand (I put the clothes in the tub and barely cover them with water that I've sprinkled with Borax, Washing soda and a drop of dish washing liquid).  Before I even begin scrubbing, they're brighter and whiter than with the washing machine.
3.  It's a great upper body work out that has a purpose.  For some reason I can't seem to keep myself motivated to exercise if there is no immediate goal.
4. It's a great deal cheaper for me.  Our apartment building has coin operated laundry in the basement and a wash costs $1 and a dry cost $1.25.  If I'm diligent and use both the washer and the dryer, laundry can cost us upwards of $50/month.  That's a lot of cash flying out the window.  We simply can't afford that and I know that I need to save the money now when I can hang dry with my new clothes line.
5. Clothes last longer when washed by hand and hung dry.  If I'm going to be pairing down my wardrobe, I want what I have to last longer.
I also made some homemade English muffins, homemade multi-grain buttermilk blueberry pancakes for breakfast,and homemade sweet potato french fries for dinner.  Yummy.  I find that the more things I make homemade.  The happier I am, the more I appreciate food, and I honestly eat less because I find that I'm more mindful of what I put in my mouth when I've made it myself.  And it's usually better and I want to save some for leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment