Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Painting fun

I've been racking my brain lately. I have been wanting to paint something for my newest little one that we're expecting.  Before Joey was born, I painted her a lovely fairy painting and I've been wanting to paint something for our new little one.  I've been struggling to pick a subject matter but today it came to me as I was getting ready for work. 
(BTW: I am loving my little piece of alone time on Wednesday mornings when Danny takes Joey to Lisa's house since his school and my work overlap one day a week)
It's a scene from Revelations.  I know, I know... Revelations is a little heady for a kids room but bear with me, it's a beautiful scene.  But I figured out that it should be a painting for the two of my girls to share.  I'll also be making a baby blanket for our new little one and last year on our church's women's retreat, I painted a small painting of a butterfly for Joey so I'm sure I'll get around to making one (or several) just for this little one at some point too. 
"And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.…" -Revelation 22:1-3 (KJV)
I sketched it out this morning before I left for work.  It's looking great.  I can't wait to get started painting.  I don't know where I'll find the time but I'm hoping that I will get it done in time.  I'm hoping that my girls will also get the duality that the tree growing on two sides of a river that divides it will also not be lost on them during their adolescent years since they'll most likely be sharing a room for a while.  

I love divine inspiration!
I watched a movie recently where the main character was a artist struggling to find his voice as an artist in the midst of some serious life struggles.  (Doesn't it always work that way)  He was being mentored by a famous painter who was slipping in and out of depression over the recent  loss of his one true love and was nearly unable to paint anymore due to some serious arthritis. 
The movie opens with the main character telling his mentor that he was feeling lost in his painting and had been painting expressionism most recently.  His mentor joked that expressionism could get one lost rather quickly and told him to paint what he loved, because love was the only thing that mattered.  At the close of the movie, the mentor altered this statement slightly in a vast revelation.  He said not to paint what can be lost but rather to paint the Light.  Because the light always remains even when the things of this life have faded away.  I found it rather profound. 
I hope that I always remember to paint the Light.  It truly is the only thing that lasts.  My best painting have always been the one's that God has inspired me to paint.  At least, I think so.  So, I'm feeling inspired and ready to paint the light.  Now, here's to finding the time while in the midst of life's toil, to get that done!

No comments:

Post a Comment