Saturday, February 19, 2011

Lazy Saturday

Danny's off brewing beer with his friend Matthew.  He's been so excited to have a child free space to brew.   Not that he can't brew here but it's ten times more difficult with a little one under foot.  Especially with hot malts bubbling away.  So while he's off having fun I should be cleaning up and organizing but I'm not.  Joey's down for her nap, first time she's gone down without a fight in three days.  I've missed nap time.  I've got dinner bubbling away in the slow cooker, I'm watching 'Step It Up' on TV, and am enjoying the quiet while it's lasts.  I know it won't last long.  As soon as Joey's up she's going to be ready for a snack while dinner's finishing up and I want to do some cleaning with her and I want to do something fun with her too but I don't know what that might be yet.  I was thinking maybe something crafty but I can't think of what to do.  I'm having a slow brain day.
I need to have more planned activities that I can throw together in a pinch.  I need to get her ready if we're going to sign her up for pre-school in the fall.  She knows all the alphabet song by heart but she doesn't recognize the letters by sight yet.  She can count to eleven with no help but again she doesn't recognize them by sight yet either.  She learns really well by song and she's starting to pick out melodies and she's starting to sing along with us rather than repeat lines after us or jump to the next line, which is a lovely step but I still feel like I should be doing more.  Well, I'm gonna go enjoy the rest of this quiet while it lasts.  

1 comment:

  1. you know, we do this at montessori, might be good for her, as well as a craft project. paint a smooth board (we have pink for consonants, blue for vowels and green for numbers). When that dries, paint with glue the number or letter you want, and coat the glue with sand. this gives it a good tactile feel. Introduce the letter/number, and have her trace it with her finger while saying it. More fun than a boring flashcard. :)

    ReplyDelete