Thursday, December 23, 2010

I'm thinking again...Let's see how this goes

So, I was asking around on Facebook about what cloth diapers were the best and most cost effective.  A friend suggested that I just make some myself.  I don't know why I hadn't thought of this.  I've been poking around different websites with patterns and instructions and have been trying to figure it all out.  I think I may be onto something now though.  I found one woman who made diapers for FREE!!! she used fabric she had around the house.  I have tons of fabric around the house.  They recommended using terry cloth layered with flannel and/or wool for the soaker pads, using micro-fleece and flannel layered for the outsides.  I have so many ideas now, and all using fabrics and extra towels that I have laying around the house.  I even found a bunch of free patterns on-line in all different sizes.  I think the only thing that I'd absolutely have to buy would be either snaps or hook & loop for the closures.
I told Danny about what I found and he agreed that if we find a place out in CO that comes with it's own laundry, that we will for sure consider it.  I'm so excited.  Diapers for Joey run us like $50+ a month.  And the rough part is that I can't even buy off brand because Joey has really sensitive skin (like her mommy, ugh) and all but one brand give her really bad diaper rash.  But I am excited about this concept.  I'll even be able to make her training pants that I'll be able to re-use for baby number 2.  It's really going to depend on what kind of place we get in CO though.  We just can't expect to wash diapers in a shared laundry like we have now.
And of course, if we have tour own laundry space, I can start making my own laundry soap.  Another friend gave me a bunch of recipes for homemade laundry soap that are a huge money saver and if I have the space to keep a 5 gallon bucket of laundry soap somewhere, I will.  Oh that nesting brain is kicking in already, I can feel it.  I want to make and clean and everything all RIGHT NOW!!! AHHH!!!! But I'm restraining myself.  At least for a little while.  We have so much to do to prepare to move.  I have plenty on my to-do list.  I just need a game plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment